Going the distance

Life is like a long distance run. Most of the time you're looking forward, but occasionally you look back at what you've covered… You know there will be obstacles throughout the journey - but deep down, you know you can handle anything that comes your way. Most importantly... you keep putting one foot in front of the other and let 'NOTHING' stand in your way!!!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Why do "Half" of anything?



I have never done a "Half" marathon because of a stupid thing I read once on why a full was better than a half. The logic was why do half of anything? Then I here people say things like, I'm "ONLY" doing the half.

So rewind back to New Years eve 2012. I set a resolution to do a official 13.1 race in honor of the 2013 year. So on New Years day 2013 I started of the year with a rainy 13.1 mile run.

Fast forward past the Sultan 50k, Columbia Marathon, Umstead 100, 12 hours of independence, Hinson lake 24 hour (100). Now October and I still have not even looked at a half marathon.

Monday October, 7th. I'm wasting time on Facebook and see a question from Greenapple Sports and Wellness. First two to answer a question win entry into the Rock-tober Fest half marathon. I won.

Race Day

Shoe decision was going to be a start line decision, settled because I only had one pair in the van. Hokas. Not exactly a speedy shoe.

I get to the race and pick up my Greenapple shirt. Then had to make my way to the Porta jon. I made it out with 3 min to the start. I pushed my way along the outside to get as close to the front as I can, and were off.

I don't put to much work into being fast. But never having done a half marathon my first would have to be a go big or go home effort. I set my sights on 1:45.

Pre said "The only pace is a suicide pace..." So I had to go for it. If I crashed and burned I would crash and burn. Everyone always says don't go out too fast. Since when do I listen to anyone?
1 7:31.3 1.00 7:31
2 7:40.9 1.00 7:41
I felt great for only being two weeks after my 100 mile finish. I started passing people and moving forward.

The first water station was not maned well. I held up 2 fingers to indicate I wanted 2 waters and had to grab for my second one. As I did I took the cup intended for the guy right behind me. I apologized and handed him the cup.

3 7:48.1 1.00 7:48
4 7:40.1 1.00 7:40
5 7:53.9 1.00 7:54
6 7:55.4 1.00 7:56
7 7:49.5 1.00 7:50
I kept pace along Josh James. He kept trying to talk but I was concerned with holding my pace. At that point I didn't know if I could hold it. And the music was keeping me moving.

Then my my hip flexor got cranky about mile 7. That is also when the hills started.
8 8:11.5 1.00 8:12
9 8:17.5 1.00 8:18

Then Josh took off past me. Then someone else passed me, and another, and another.
10 8:02.5 1.00 8:03
11 8:18.3 1.00 8:18
12 8:05.9 1.00 8:06

The finish was set up so you could see it from a long way out. With a little help from Metallica, I put the hammer back down. I pushed through the finish with everything I had left. had.
13 7:56.2 1.00 7:56
14 1:24.9 0.19 7:28

1:44:18 Just under my goal. I was ecstatic.

One lesson I learned after the finish was... Let someone else bend over and get the Gatorade for you. I held my own but definitely saw stars. I hit the free ART treatment from Greenapple. Then picked up some SWAG.

Will I do another? I don't know. But now it's done. It is a respectable distance with a dumb name. I think it is a great goal distance to train for. And will encourage people to do one.

Five weeks until I pace at Thunder Road Marathon. I better make a plan and get training.

Thanks to Scott Greenapple for setting me up with the entry.

1 comment: