Going the distance

Life is like a long distance run. Most of the time you're looking forward, but occasionally you look back at what you've covered… You know there will be obstacles throughout the journey - but deep down, you know you can handle anything that comes your way. Most importantly... you keep putting one foot in front of the other and let 'NOTHING' stand in your way!!!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

HL24 2012 The Good, Bad and Ugly.


As the shirt says I left it All at the lake. I have been struggling this week to find interesting points to put in my report. However I will try to keep it as simple as I tried to make my race.

First things first> I decided before the race to follow a God dream and use this as a platform for me to help others. I had ran in July to support the Wounded Warrior Project. We used the Crowdrise.com. They a re a awesome website to use if you consider raising funds. This race I devoted to helping free children from slavery. No child should ever have to be a slave. The Fathers house International http://fathershouseghana.com/is doing something about it. The have freed 8 boys from the fishermen on Lake Volta. They have established a refuge in Ghana Africa to raise these boys and many more to come as disciples of Christ. I'm happy to say I raised $600. to help them in whatever they need. Every penny helps. crowdrise.com/24hours4thefathershouse

The GOOD.
Friday was good after devouring a 5 guys burger, large fries, and 2 Cokes. Dexter arrives with 8 tubes of NUUN my secret hydration plan.

After arriving at Toms to pick up bib and shirt. I headed over to Crow run to set up a temporary camp. As I backed in to a spot I was greeted by the Legendary Barefoot Josh and his Bride Iris. I have read his blog for over a year now and see his daily FB dog pics ad drawings. It was a pleasure to meet him in person. Everyone drove off to get dinner. So I decided to walk over to the lake and decided what the heck I'll run a lap and check trail conditions. As I finished Josh arrived and was doing his own recon. I decided to do another lap and show him the trail. (He ran it in some sort of top secret rubber sock.) We went back to the camp and chatted it up until dark.

We said our good nights and I moved camp to the Lodge parking lot. I knew where I wanted to set up and had a feeling if I waited until morning it would be gone.
The plan was to camp alone and get a good night sleep. The harvest moon lit everything up making it hard to sleep. As like any pre race night that resulted in about 6 hours. About 6 am I was awoken by lights in the lodge and people moving around.

Jason and Katie arrived shortly after. We hung out shaking hand and getting to know the people we only see at races and chat with on line. Next thing I know people are starting to move. I figured it was time to go. The plan walk the damb, run the trail, walk the bridge, and run the trail.

First lap out I decided wrong shoes, lap 2 wrong socks for the shoe change,lap 3 ditch the shirt. I think for the first 5 or 6 laps i would stop and make some sort of adjustment, fill water or grab food. Then it all becomes a blur of mummies running w/ scissors, bare foot people, rain, Popsicles, Coke, chicken, tattoos, potatoes, burgers, families, kids, dogs, snakes, pony tails, Mohawks, Hokas, pirates, vac and dash divas, landscapers grooming the trails, crop dusters, chafing, walkers, sleepers, m&ms, BB&Js, barking spiders, Stingers, I think I saw a BK shake? WHERE was Mine? . Lap after lap. Walk the damb, walk the bridge, walk the damn bridge. I kept to myself most of the day making small talk and cracking jokes. I wanted to stay focused on my plan.

Until about 4 pm when my pacer arrived. I stopped to clean out my shoes and eat some rice. Savage came off the trail and yelled at me to keep moving. I informed Derrick where I was and what my plan was. He ran one lap with me. Then on the second lap he slowed to talk to Peter. After he caught up he said he could run half laps with me then he would walk until I came back around in the next lap. I did this a few times then he became more of a pit crew chief than a pacer.

Sometime about 7ish I see a runner about my size he is wearing Newtons. I ask him his size and he looks at me as if Im going to jump him for his shoes. Then I explain to him I have a pair he can have for Free all he has to do is want them. He ends up giving me a running shirt for them anyway. I was happy to rid myself of them. Thanks for the BA shirt, I still say I won on that trade.

Then the night set in I hit my 50 miles just before 8pm. One thing kept bothering me from this point on. The stupid South of the Border sign.

I had 50 miles in and it was still 98 miles to go.

I know Jason and Katie packed up after she reached her goal. It was disappointing to see them go but hanging out the rest of the night prolly wouldn't help this foot and IT issues.

I was happy with my results at this point. I continued to work my plan. However the later it became the longer the walks became. I tried to keep a 10 foot focus and was able to run until midnight. My lights started to dim. Derrick said leave it and he would get the new batteries for me. The next lap was much better with brighter lights. Back to 10 foot focus. If I can make the 10 feet in my headlight I'm good. This is also where I started working out math in my head how much could I walk. In hind site I should have taken time to eat something solid and get some protein. Back to 10 foot focus. If I can make the 10 feet in my headlight I'm good. This is also where I decided walking poles would be good. There were some points that I would stumble like a drunk. I'm bringing poles next year. At one point i was walking with Jim Wei and we both had the same goal and distance to cover. I think we may have done one lap then I lost track of him. My hearing really tanked out and as i would talk with other runners I could not hear what they were saying back. I tried to keep it simple at this point. Throwing out the your doing great, keep going. I could hear the same from others. However a conversation at this point was not going to happen. Sorry if anyone felt (I ignored them.)

I continued through the night. Each lap kept getting longer. My mental state was good. I kept focus. I remember crossing the bridge at one point and Charles asking me if I was OK. I think my response was No, but what can I do now? My hips kept getting tighter. As i crossed the bridge at one point I thought I was seeing a Ed Wood Space costume. It ended up being Jonathan wearing a jacket that had 2 reflective Vs on the back. He had cooled off and was wearing gloves he was also taller due to his Hokas. I passed several people that looked like "Walkers" Glad I was still able to out run them. Then I came around the corner and the clock was at 20 hours. Derrick and Gabby were waiting for me. I sat down to talk things out and decided one more lap would be 80 miles. I will be ok with that. My mind reminded me 20 miles on good legs would be hard. I was not making my 100. I had come to this conclusion while on the last few laps. I thought I can call it at 80 or death march it out and maybe make 90.

I checked out at the score table and went to see Denise Dilley Martin ( A angel in the night.)





After a good work over and a change of shoes. I had to go for one more lap. My daughters orders. If this lap went well I would keep moving. NOPE! 82.08 was going to be it. My I-pod even said no your done. First time it has ever ran out of juice before me. I finished the lap and sat in a chair for the first time singe driving to the parking lot the night before. I intentionally refused to bring on this year. After wathing the leaders roll though hoping to get some motivation that would draw me back to the trail. I closed my eyes, just for a moment. I knew right then it was time to pack up and head home. In hind site I wish I had stayed for the end. Who knows what motivation daylight could have given me.

I think I was asleep before we left the parking lot. The next thing I knew we were in Monroe cruising down 74. Derrick and Gabby got me home safe. I was a bit stiff getting out of the car.




All said and done I'm happy with going farther than I ever have gone before. However will always wonder what if... I didn't leave that 3 hours on the table.

I need to give thanks to first GOD for giving me the strength and courage to attempt such a run. The my family for the time to train and support through the run.




THE BAD


Link to the Video of the snake getting his lunch.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UzUjQKbbvk&feature=youtu.be






THE UGLY You know I couldn't resist.

To sum it all up "I ran a lot. The end."

2 comments:

  1. You're going to need to apologize to Iris for that "Legendary" comment. Now I'm going to be EXTRA insufferable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Awesome race report. Favorite paragraph was:

    "Then it all becomes a blur of mummies running w/ scissors, bare foot people, rain, Popsicles, Coke, chicken, tattoos, potatoes, burgers, families, kids, dogs, snakes, pony tails, Mohawks, Hokas, pirates, vac and dash divas, landscapers grooming the trails, crop dusters, chafing, walkers, sleepers, m&ms, BB&Js, barking spiders, Stingers, I think I saw a BK shake? WHERE was Mine? . Lap after lap. Walk the damb, walk the bridge, walk the damn bridge."

    Typically a race for me becomes a blur of just one word things - I loved seeing it in a report :)

    Congrats on a fine race!

    ReplyDelete